Friday, January 3, 2020

Melancholy redux

   It's time to close up The Little House for the remainder of winter. Lars and I will drive there today and do a little hunting as the season closes. It is also an opportunity to attend Reuben Skordahl's, (1/17/1924-1/4/2020),  funeral. Reuben, and his late wife Doris,were my Luther League Advisers when I was in high school. In the 1957 school year I shared a basement apartment, in their house, with 5 others while I was attending South Dakota State College (now University). I'll write more about Reuben and Doris in the future.
    Today I packed up the Christmas decorations. That was an experience in melancholy. "The holidays must be hard" is a comment often made. They weren't particularly until New Years, which I blogged about a couple of days ago. Perhaps the sadness was delayed, because Evy and Sella decorated the tree and Lars the condo, that de-decorating was more poignant. Handling all the ornaments brought the memories back. Not every memory is rosy, there are those reminders of things I wished I'd done differently. So many item's origins are lost to me. I ache to say "Joanne where did we get this? Who gave us that?"  It is another reminder of the door that closed on asking about so many things. (Readers: don't delay ask questions when you can.)
   Travelling to S.D., with Lars will be a good antidote to today's bout of melancholy. The funeral will bring me contact with many from my past, including my cousin from California, and, I will explain that connection in a future blog when I write about Reuben and Doris, who were true "salt of the earth."

Takk for alt,

Al

No comments: