Saturday, January 11, 2020

Family Values

     Rinker Buck, in his book Oregon Trail, does at least three things, He includes much detail about the history of the Oregon Trail, gives a travelogue of trans-versing it with his brother in a covered wagon pulled by three mules, and reflects deeply on himself and his life. One of his comments about the a family value struck a deep chord in me.
     The journey to Oregon succeeds because of the profuse help of many strangers. Buck may be a bit neurotic and freely shares his anxieties about the adventure they've tackled. He says his father raised him to always give help, but never ask for any. Which made him uncomfortable with all he received on the trail. When I read that I was transported back to my childhood.
      My father ran an independent farm. We did co-operate with my uncle and cousin and one other family during harvest until my uncle and cousin moved away and the other farmer bought his own combine. Other than that, we did everything for ourselves, neither borrowing nor lending, though I suspect dad would have lent had he been asked. Many neighboring farmers often swapped work and equipment but not us.
     This left me with a life-long reluctance to borrow or ask for help, as  Buck expresses. I have no memory of anything ever being said about this value. It was so clearly lived out, perhaps,  that words were not needed. It's not all bad...that streak of independence...but there are times to ask and especially to accept that which is offered with a simple Thank you!."

Takk for alt,

Al

No comments: