Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Food for thought....

   Nancy forwarded this quote to me today from a book she's reading for book club. (Thanks Nancy!)


The Secret Diary of Hendrik Groen, by Hendrik Groen

    "....Almost every name in my address book is crossed out. Two that aren't may or may not be still alive. Another doesn't remember who I am. That leaves only Evert and Anja, Graeme, Edward and Gierje aren't listed in my address book. Not a very impressive list of friends, is it. The choice is either dying young, or enduring an endless string of funerals. I now have just five more funerals to go, max, not counting the ones I go to out of politeness."

    When Joanne died I quickly claimed her "Birthday Book." For our first anniversary, in 1965, my mother gave Joanne this Birthday Book. The binding is cracked and it's now held together with rubber bands. Few gifts have been as well received, and used so faithfully, as this little book. It was Joanne's guide for sending multiple cards every month. Reading through it is to see a cascade of family and friends now departed. 
    Groen is correct; the choices are die young or endure an endless string of funerals. It's an interesting assumption on Groen's part that he will outlive his five remaining friends/family. Perhaps they will attend his funeral. We're all terminal, we just don't know our expiration date. Perhaps we should have stamp on us that says "Best if used by....."  😋

Takk for Alt

Al

No comments: