Monday, January 20, 2020

Recommended reading and life in BKK.

     The day before I left home I finished one of my Christmas books. When I saw that I wasn't going to finish two books, reading alternate chapters, I chose to finish The Oregon Trail: A New American Journey, Rinker Buck.  Buck, and his brother, started at a favorite jumping off place in Kansas just across the Missouri River. Using three mules to pull their covered wagon they made it all the way to Oregon.
   The book not only tells the story of the journey but includes much historical data. For example; the migration west was the largest human migration ever with over 400,000 persons. Or, the journey early in the migration of a white woman, who wrote back to eastern newspapers positively about her experience, did much to fuel the movement. Buck also uses the journey as one of self discovery, about which he is very candid. He's a writer by profession and that is clear from how well the book is written.  It's a history book hiding inside of a compelling dual journey. The accompanying pictures and maps help a reader to visualize what is being described. There's even a happy ending for the mules who pulled the wagon over 2000 miles.  Yes, I recommend it.
   
    The big event of my day yesterday was getting a haircut. (See the picture below.) The huge building across the street from the guesthouse that was being demolished last year is now down to street level, It was about a block square and housed two 7-11s, Starbucks, three or four restaurants and other stores at street level. It also had a multi-story apartment building and parking ramp. What comes next??? (See picture)

    About a block from the guesthouse is a food market, which is about a block square, under a canvas roof with open sides. Many, if not most of the stalls are cooking food, so that adds to the 90 degree heat. My lunch of an omelette on a bed of rice cost $1.15, and, I may well go back for another today. (See the pictures below.)

   Yes, I'm living the good life in BKK.

Takk for alt,

Al
Where I got my haircut.

The source of my omelette.

The food court.

Site of the razed building.

No comments: