Wednesday, January 29, 2020

A bit about Thailand

     An advantage of being on teaching hiatus is the opportunity it gives me to read. MJV gave me 2019: The Best Travel Writing, Alexandra Fuller, ed.
   "Finally my face was on fire. My lips burned. My tongue burned. My throat burned. Sweat beaded on my cheekbones, under my eyes. This wasn't just heat--this was electric. My mouth pulsed with an incalculable voltage. Pain and pleasure blurred, the distinction irrelevant. I breathed deeply. I smiled like a twelfth-century Buddhist god-king carved in sandstone. I picked up my spoon and fork, and prepared to take another bite.
    "For weeks, I had been looking forward to the most Thailand, chilefied country in the world, where peppers are everywhere (everywhere!), in everything (almost!), pounded into curry pastes and papaya salads, sliced into stir-fries, soaked in vinegar and fish sauce and placed upon seemingly every table...." excerpt from How the Chili Pepper Took Over the World,  Matt Gross, p. 64,
    Gross traces the Chili pepper from it's origin in Central and South America to three countries that use it; Jamaica, Hungary and Thailand. What he writes about Thailand is true. Chili is ubiquitous, if you want salt with a meal you must ask and will be given soy sauce. But, every table has a pot of chili sauce from which you may add as much as you like, or dare.

Takk for alt,

Al

Places where chili is served.




No comments: