Sunday, January 5, 2020

Remembering Reuben and Doris

   It is no exaggeration to say that I did not always make the best decisions in my adolescence. Doris could have told you that. Reuben and Doris were a young, married couple, in my home congregation, when I was beginning high school. As often happens to young marrieds, they were recruited to be Luther League sponsors, ie., youth group advisers. It was in this capacity that Doris earned my undying devotion and thereby hangs a tale.
    There was a long standing tradition in Sinai Lutheran Church that the Luther League would serve an oyster stew supper to the congregation. Most of us came from farm families, and many of us had milk cows, so we would bring the milk for the stew from our farms in tall milk cans. During one of these suppers, likely I was in ninth grade, I entered the kitchen during the course of the supper. Sitting on one of the empty milk cans, with his back to me, was my classmate, Mark Stime. In my adolescent brain I thought it would be fun to kick the bottom of the can on which Mark sat and dump him on the floor.  All went according to plan except  that the can was full of milk. Suddenly there were gallons of milk flooding the floor. Unbeknownst to me, Luther League adviser, Doris, had followed me into the kitchen and witnessed the whole debacle. Laughing, she silently went to the closet, retrieved a mop and cheerfully mopped up the milk with nary a word of reproach.     
    This was a clear peek into her character, one that was shared by her husband, Reuben. Now you see why she holds a special place in my heart.  It please me that, Doris, who died in 2008, and Reuben, are buried only a few feet from Joanne. Doris' lack of judgement did more for my reformation than any scolding would have done and, has remained for me, a beautiful illustration of grace. Rest in peace dear Reuben and Doris; good and faithful servants.
    At a later time I'll tell more about Reuben and Doris from when I roomed in their basement during college.

Takk for alt,

Al

Snow angel by Joanne's grave.

Family at dinner.

No comments: