Saturday, August 31, 2019

On Tour

   For forty years I worked weekends. Actually I didn't mind that as much as all the evening meetings, 3-5000? Weekend work did have a significant effect when Joanne was President/CEO of Lutheran Social Services of South Dakota and we live apart.  Because I worked weekends, and she weekdays, it fell to her to commute home weekends. Weekend work also meant that our Iowa friends often came to The Cities to attend events with which we were connected. When I retired in 2007 I said to Joanne "Let's take an Iowa tour" and we did.
   Tomorrow I'll begin my 13th annual Iowa tour and the 2nd alone. First stop is for lunch with Jenine in Decorah. Jenine is Joanne's college roommate from their years at Concordia College, Moorhead, MN. Then I motor down beautiful eastern Iowa to Calamus where Ed and his wife Mary Jane farm. Ed and I were together in the USMC for three years. Mary Jane and Joanne bonded when we lived in Davenport about 25 miles from Calamus. Then it's on to Iowa City to stay with Ken and Barb Gamb. Ken and I began as ministry partners and ended up as the best of friends and, again, Joanne and Barb became friends. For 8 years Ken and I were co-pastors of Zion Lutheran in Davenport.
   "Friends are family you choose" is a quote from someone and I like it. Ed and I go back to USMC boot camp in 1959. Joanne and Jenine's friendship began in 1954 and and Ken and I began ministry together in 1980. These are not "old" friends, they are "long time friends". 🌝
    Family and friends, what would I do without them? They make life in the land of grief meaningful!

Takk for alt,

Al








No comments: