Monday, August 26, 2019

Renewal

    "Isn't it ever going to rain?" was the summer refrain of my childhood. Rain is the life blood of dry land farmers. Spring rains through the middle of June were common but after that, rain was sporadic. Complete crop failure from drought are not a part of my memory but reduced yields due to dry conditions were  an almost annual event. Never do I remember too much rain in July and August during my youth.
     The rain gauge by my grassland recorded 3.4" since I emptied it two weeks ago. The sump pump at The Little House is running again.  How different this is from my youth. There are natural things that like the additional moisture. The biologist, who lives next door, says it's a great summer for ducks. Trees, except for some too close to wetlands, grow rapidly with the extra water. Grasses are doing a happy dance with all the rain. The grassland on which I did a controlled burn in April is now filled with big bluestem grass six feet tall. Nestled in the grass are many milkweeds. The four acres of wildflowers beside the prairie grass provide nectar for the monarchs, bees and other butterflies. The fire followed by ample rain has renewed the native grasses. (See picture below)
    Renewal of another form is taking place on U.S.Highway 81. Crushed rock is being laid in preparation for raising the road bed two feet. This will be the third raising since the wet cycle began in 1984. The two previous raisings were 5-7' each time. One more cost of climate change. (See picture below)

Takk for alt,

Al

Big bluestem grass waving in the wind.

Crushed rock to raise Highway 81, picture taken from the driveway of the farm where I grew up.

No comments: