Saturday, May 4, 2019

5/4/2019 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Al Negstad — 23 minutes ago
    That quote above by Chesterton was sent to me by a friend after she read last night's Caring Bridge post.  As I reflect in gratitude about Joanne I am struck by wonder that she took a chance on me.  In 1963, when we met, there was huge chasm between us in our levels of sophistication.  She was the erudite, educated...she already had two academic degrees...member of the faculty city girl.  And I was a country boy who had yet to graduate from college. "Doubled by wonder" indeed!
    With this Chesterton quote fresh in my mind then I read this by Frederick Buechner "There are some things I would be willing to bet maybe even my life on.  That life is grace, for instance--the givenness of it, the fathomlessness of it, the endless possibilities of its becoming transparent to something extraordinary beyond itself."  from Now and Then: A Memoir of Vocation quoted in May 8, 2019 Christian Century p. 21.
   Grace, pure grace that I should meet Joanne and she would have me...gratitude, happiness, wonder.
    

Blessings,

Al

Picture from my elementary school days, proof I was a country boy.  Coffee for anyone who can pick me out. 😉 

No comments: