Wednesday, May 1, 2019

5/1/2019 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Al Negstad — a minute ago
It's the second time I've sat in Joanne's chair since she died.  It's not that comfortable for me.  But, I'm dog sitting for a friend who is foster caring a dog and the foster dog is not neutered.  Typically Trygve turns every dog into a playmate but this dog incessantly challenges Trygve and the visitor is 40, pounds lighter and no match, so I have to keep them apart.  I have the visitor tied to the chair and I'm sort of watching the Twins...who are ahead of the Astros 4-0, in the 7th inning.
    Sitting here I can't help but reflect on Joanne's hours in this chair.  Here she'd watch Rachel Maddow, CNN and other political shows.  She love the Lynx, of the WNBA.  After her retirement she'd read three or four books a week, mostly while in this chair.  She'd give a book one chapter and if that didn't engage her she'd find a different book.  This was the chair she occupied during much of her stay in hospice, until finally she was confined to her hospital bed.   It was a chair such as this in which she fell asleep in the furniture store showroom.  Now it is over a year since she occupied this corner of the condo, her corner, which I'd visit.  This corner is rife with the presence of absence. Yes, I miss her, even as life rolls on in the land of grief.

Blessings,

Al

Pictured, her chair.

No comments: