Friday, May 10, 2019

5/10/2019 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Al Negstad — a minute ago
Only put off until tomorrow what you're willing to leave undone when you die.  Now isn't that a cheery way to begin a post? 😏  This thought was prompted by something I read in The Race of My Life: 50 Essays on Living with Cancer, Dr. David C. Eitrheim, M.D. 
    Eitrheim writes "Despite knowing that I was at risk for a sudden death from a heart attack, Amy and I did little to prepare for that possibility.  When it comes to planning for death, it is easy to procrastinate.  The diagnosis of  cancer, however, has allowed us time to plan for the end.
     "I am impressed by my parents' plan for death.  They have always been people who didn't want to burden their children....my parents have downsized to a small condominium with fewer furnishings.  They have decluttered their home, have funeral services planned. obituaries written, grave sites and memorial stone purchased, and a file with all will, trust, advanced directives and other financial or key documents that are needed.
     "Many grieving families are overwhelmed by the many tasks and decisions that accompany death.  Because of my parents' planning, our family will not be counted among the overwhelmed."  PP. 49-50   Since Eitrheim wrote this his mother has died but his father is a very active 90.
    We, too, had the 'gift?' of cancer allowing us all to prepare for Joanne's death.  Frequently, during her brief stay in hospice, Joanne expressed her gratitude for her manner of dying, comparing her situation to my late brother who died shoveling snow.
    Reading this in his book, I am reminded that, I too, have more left to do.  

Takk for alt,

Al

Pictured:  Joanne receiving the LSS "Changing Lives Award" from LSS, Chief Executive Officer, Jodi Harpstead

No comments: