Saturday, May 11, 2019

5/11/2019 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Al Negstad — a minute ago
Tim's funeral today was a Lutheran 'classic', good music well done, fine homily, standing room only attendance, and superb congregational singing.  54 is too young to die.  If one person could be credited with bringing the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, into full welcome of gays and lesbians it may well be Tim.  Interesting that he, a quiet, unassuming, straight, white, male could have that credit.  His passion for justice focused on ecclesiastical equality for GLBT persons.  Those assembled came to honor Tim and thank God for God's effective servant.
    Attending funerals is always poignant for me since Joanne's, but not traumatic.  Having known Tim since his graduate school days in Washington, D.C., and always appreciating him, his death makes me very sad.  Tim and Christine, his wife, are counted among my good friends.  It was comforting to be with a crowd at the visitation last night and then full church again today.  Nokomis Heights Lutheran Church was on its "A game" with the funeral, and they certainly put their best foot forward.
    Following the service in the bulletin and hymnbook I hadn't look ahead.  Then we reached the final hymn and I choked up.  "Love divine, all loves excelling" was the hymn Joanne and I used as a processional at our wedding and she chose it as a hymn for her funeral.
    In 1964, who had heard of using a hymn as a wedding processional?  Not me, but it was Joanne's idea.  It was perfect, and, over the years, every time we sang it in church we were transported back to June 6, 1964, and our wedding at First Lutheran Church, Sioux Falls, S.D.  Now it reminds me both of our wedding and her funeral.
      Added to the list of questions I wish I could ask her are these.  'How did you think of using a hymn for a processional?  How did you come to use 'Love Divine All Love Excelling?' Perhaps I asked in 1964, but if I did, I don't remember it

Takk for alt,

Al

Any guesses about the identity of the bride and groom?

No comments: