Monday, May 20, 2019

5/20/2019 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Al Negstad — 41 minutes ago
In his book Life's Final Season: A Guide for Aging and Dying with Grace, Richard P. Holm, MD, writes about the importance of friends for one's health. In a section titled Emotional Health: On The Value Of Friendship, he writes;
  "Friends listen, care, support, open-up and, when it counts, are loyal.  Almost like the ethics of medicine: friends try to benefit and not harm their pals, try to do this honestly and try to respect the other person's freedom to choose.
   "There are a lot of quotes about the value of friendship.  An unknown author said 'A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you've forgotten the words.'...Emily Dickenson professed 'My friends are my estate.'  And of course, Lennon-McCartney wrote and Ringo Starr sang, 'I get by with a little help from my friends.'"  pp. 13-14
    The only thing I'd change from the quotes above would be to make the Beatles's song "I get by with much help from family and friends."  The peace and equanimity I now experience in the land of grief is largely due to the support of family and friends.
    Reading that section in Holm's book caused me to reflect on the gifts of friendship in my life.  Friends are a huge blessing for me and they are scattered around the world.  Many, of course, are geographically near me in Minnesota, Iowa and South and North Dakota.  This gives me the blessing of being face to face with them frequently.  There are many more friends scattered around the United States, and while seeing them is more difficult, communicating with them via mail, telephone and electronic technology keeps us in touch.   Very important to me too, are friends in Norway, Thailand, Cambodia and Australia.   As one might say using Facebook terminology "I've been friended in a big way."  

Takk for alt,

Al

Pictured are friends from Norway, Australia, School and Thailand.  You can see why I'm grateful!

No comments: