Sunday, February 3, 2019

2/3/2019 Caring Bridge



Journal entry by Al Negstad  
Amy doesn't own a car, Melbourne has too much traffic, so she commutes by bike or tram.  She does belong to a car share and had reserved a car for two days (to
day and tomorrow). So, we took a little road trip along the edge of the big bay, at the end of which, is perched Melbourne.  The countryside looks like it is supposed to, i.e., brown grass interspersed with eucalyptus groves.  As we drove I was reminded of parts of California and in some ways of Patagonia.  
     A gondola ride took us up and down a big hill offering spectacular views of the bay, across which we could faintly see the skyscrapers of Melbourne.  It was in the heat of the day, 36, Celsius, but the ride was breezy enough to be comfortable.  As forecasters predicted, about the time we finished our gondola ride, Antarctica sent a cooling breeze and soon the temperature dropped to a balmy 26.  This evening a light jacket would feel good.
      The next stop was a working lighthouse at Cape Schanck, which was built in 1859, and has not missed a day since.    $13 Australian (about 70 cents to US Dollar) bought us a tour.  (Pictures will follow later.)  A retired man who acted as our tour guide was fount of knowledge, not only about the light house, but many others things.  He even recounted Melbourne's relationship to the American Civil War.  Sentiments about the war were mixed in Melbourne.  Great Britain had abolished slavery in 1836, so there was anti-slavery sentiment.  On the other hand, their was resentment about American independence from Great Britain.   I'll write more about the lighthouse when I can upload pictures.
     At dusk it was time to do a kangaroo search.  Kangaroo crossing signs were posted along many of the roads we traveled.  They are most active at dawn and dusk.  One crossed the road in front of us and I got a close up of another.  There was a mob in the distance feeding on a grassy hillside.  Likely my photo will show distant specs at best.
      So ends a good day in Australia.  When I get back to Bangkok I'll have a bit of time on my hands and will post more stories.  Amy is providing the adult supervision I need, so not to worry.😉 

Blessings.

Al

PS Missing my plane did provide some adventure.😛  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading through a post that can make men and women think.
Also, thank you for allowing for me to comment!

Anonymous said...

Hey there! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any issues with hackers?
My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing a few months of hard work due to no backup.
Do you have any methods to stop hackers?