Wednesday, February 20, 2019

2/20/2019 Caring Bridge

   
Journal entry by Al Negstad — a minute ago
Sorry about the brain spasm of drafting without posting and just when there was actually something to report.😕   The post was written before dinner, saved in case of an addition and then forgotten.
    On Buddha's Birthday (Tuesday) we went back to the hospital outpatient clinic and found a room full of people. People tried not to stare at me but I did stand out as the only non-Asian in the room.  Pretending they were looking at me because I'm so handsome I'd smile back and they would either smile back or quickly turn away.  A room full meant an hour and a half wait for a ten minute procedure.  Seeing the wound made it clear to me that daily dressing is important.  Because the school principal wasn't with me I dug deep for the $3.00 I was charged.
    Today (Wednesday) the principal brought me to the hospital and the wait time was 15, minutes, it not being a holiday.  Seeing the healing progress since yesterday was very encouraging.  When it improves that much in 24, hours I should be in good shape when the stitches are removed Monday.
    Plans change...I was to meet L in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, this weekend.  She was to be there for work but delayed her trip for the sake of a friend who is very ill.  So, I decided not to go either and instead will go to Bangkok for continued medical treatment.  When I finish teaching Friday I'll make the trek to Bangkok.
    Twelve years ago, after falling in Laos and getting sewed up with an ensuing infection, I went to Bangkok for medical care.  The Bangkok Christian Nursing Hospital, is world class, and only a few blocks from the Guesthouse where I stay.  It will be convenient to go there for daily wound care and stitch removal.
     Students and staff were all fascinated by my story and bandage, today being the first time I had seen them since I left Monday to get medical help.  Many students would very gently touch the bandage and, as their English would permit, ask me how I was. We had a good laugh about the 6th grade teacher's look of shock when she saw the blood.  She says there is a reason she's a teacher and not a doctor or nurse.   All's well that ends well!

Blessings,

Al

Pictures: The hospital, 3rd grade points at my arm,  the arm, waiting for treatment, with the 6th grade teacher.

No comments: