Sunday, February 24, 2019

2/24/2019 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Al Negstad — a minute ago
There is a huge disparity in wealth in Thailand with some extremely wealthy people, a middle class and many who struggle to survive.  My life here is with the middle class and those who struggle.  Twelve hour workdays are not uncommon.  Even Poo, with a university degree and a white color job, works 60, hours a week, 6, ten hour days, plus she has an hour commute each way.  Her salary is above average at $420.00 a month, but with no benefits and no vacation time. Round trip bus fare is $3.00 a day.  A typical wage is $10.00 a day for a ten hour day.
    Peddlers are everywhere.  Many elderly men and women push carts or carry baskets selling food, household goods, trinkets, flowers, you name it.  Busy intersections have persons selling flowers for offering to the ancestors to motorists waiting at red lights.  Imagine, in the scorching heat, on the black asphalt, with all the gas and diesel fumes, earning your living a few pennies at a time.   Or a man peddles a three wheeled bicycle festooned with brooms and brushes that he sells.  An elderly woman tends a cauldron of boiling oil in which she's cooking pieces of chicken. She is doing this in the sun, on the sidewalk and the temperature is in the 90s.  What do you suppose she makes doing that?   She's been in the same spot for several years many hours a day.  A man rents four square feet of sidewalk to set up his sewing machine to do sewing for hire, as do a locksmith and a shoe repairman for their trades.  These are just a few examples of how hard people work to survive.
    Every year Grace University Lutheran Church and some of my friends send a significant amount of money with me to distribute to those in need. I account for the distribution in the church's publications. My family has become good social workers, leading me to those in the most need.  Some persons that we've helped in the past are now on their feet so I've been directed to others.  Buddhist theology assists in this distribution.  It goes like this.  'Because I'm American I'm assumed to be rich.  Because I'm rich I have more than I need, so giving some away will make merit for me in the next life.  Therefore, by accepting my help they are helping me insure my future.'   Recipients are grateful to be chosen but they don't wring their hands saying "O no I don't deserve this."  The amazing generosity of church and friends has allowed me to make much more of a difference in my time here.  When I report that the money is from my temple (church) in America they are often moved to tears.

Blessings,

Al

Pictures:  1. Barbecuing on the street...the car battery powers a fan to stoke the coals, 2.  grandma's family food stall was quiet so she took a nap...92 degrees plus radiant heat..I took the pic at 11:00 am and at 10:00 pm she was helping the family pack up, 3. Ayutthaya was the capital until it was sacked by Burma in the late 1700s so there are numerous monuments left, 4. I just like the sunrise over Wat Klang, 5. Construction workers on their way to work.

No comments: