Thursday, February 21, 2019

2/19/2019 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Al Negstad — 2 minutes ago
Packing my bag this afternoon was a bit melancholy.  Saying goodbye to the 6th graders is quite final.  They will move on to a variety of schools next year.  For four years I've helped them with their English so I know them quite well. In my last session with them I hauled out games I played 65, years ago in Luther League.  They seemed to have fun with them.  They're quite able to play without using the fun to put each other down.
     The third grade has been a challenge both for me and for their teacher.  Using flash cards to work on pronunciation went nowhere as they would forget as quickly as the next card.  So I got them up and moving using the "The Total Physical Response" method.  It consists of giving commands in English and they act out the response, e.g., "go to the window" and they go to the window.  If they are clueless I take one by the hand and lead to the window.  First, I had them do it as a group and then I would call on them individually.  For an hour they worked at it showing much more interest and enthusiasm than for more traditional exercises.  
     This hour was on Monday.  My next time with them was today (Thursday) so I thought I'll see what they remember.  Their memory was almost flawless!  Excited by this result, I put them through their paces demonstrating what they had learned for the teacher.  She was amazed and we had a good conversation about kinesthetic learning, how for some learners muscles are the best avenue to learning.  Perhaps the best part was being able to genuinely affirm them, something of which they have had very little.
    The school always plans a special farewell for me, different every year.  Clearly I'm appreciated and at lunch today I was struck by the realization that I have seniority on all except two at the table.  The teachers who have begun since I started are much more willing to engage in the processes in class with me.  That makes my efforts much more effective.  My next blog will be from Bangkok tomorrow so I'll include pictures from the farewell.
    Report on my arm?  It looks pretty much the same as yesterday, perhaps slightly better and certainly no worse.  It clearly still needs daily care.  When the principle and I were leaving the hospital today we saw a former student who graduated two years ago.   I am being very well cared for and I am deeply grateful.

Blessings,

Al

Pictures: 6th grade on stairway, 5th grade in selfie, getting treated, today's are picture, student teachers did a cooking class today.




No comments: