Friday, February 22, 2019

2/22/2019 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Al Negstad — a minute ago
It's always special and today's farewell was no exception, with speeches, gifts, craft projects and waiis, high fives, fist bumps and hugs. Before the goodbye today was play time with the 3rd and 4th grades.  4th grade is a larger class, 24 students, and they're particularly affectionate.
   Student reactions to me vary widely.  Fist bumps, which I introduced are very popular with the younger students coming back for repeats.  It was a protective move on my part.  The students know that Americans shake hands but I wasn't eager to shake every sweaty hand...thus fist bumps. Ice, a girl, is an exceptionally small 6th grader and she's enamored with my bandage.  Whenever we're in proximity she will very gently touch it with one finger...it feels like a blessing.
      The farewell began with a six entree lunch. Two retired teachers with whom I previously worked came back to the event.  Grades one through six were assembled for the event.  Teachers were seated in front of the assembly with me in the center.  The principal spoke thanking me for my efforts.  When it was my turn, in addition to the thank-yous, I spoke of the value of knowing English.  The sixth grade teacher, whose English is excellent, translated.
     Gifts include beautiful scarves, miniature, handmade porcelain, crafts made by students and individually made cards from most of my students.  One of the scarves, given to me by a Muslim teacher, is from Saudi Arabia.  Two Muslim teachers put it on me as a hijab (see picture).  Thai people are noted for their love of fun, "sanook", they love a good sport and we certainly had fun.
    There will be more to share about the farewell in future blogs.  But now the daily medical report.  After I finished at school I came to Bangkok and checked into the Christian Guesthouse.  The next thing I did was walk to the hospital to get treated.  Within 30 minutes I was checked in, my vitals were taken, I saw the doctor who cleaned and bandaged the wound, I paid the bill and I was out the door.  He said there's no infection, put a waterproof bandage on and told me to come back Tuesday and he'll take out the stitches.  It cost $60.00 which is expensive by Thai standards but cheap by American comparisons.

Blessings,

Al

Pictures: Selfie with 3rd grade, 6th grade on the steps and Ice is on my right, farewell assembly, wearing my hijab, the six entree lunch with ripe mangoes and sweet sticky rice for dessert.

No comments: