Tuesday, February 26, 2019

2/26/2019 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Al Negstad — a minute ago
A quick trip to the hospital relieved me of the stitches and $60. Perhaps it would have cost $15.00 in Ayutthaya, I'm guessing, but the only bill I saw was on Buddha's birthday when I went to the hospital from home.  That bill was $3.00 for dressing the wound.  I'll post a picture of my arm before the stitches were removed and one of the interior of the hospital.  It's a classy place with attendants dressed in traditional Thai clothes at the door.  Nurses in Thailand still wear nurses caps.
    St. Joseph's Convent and School are behind the guesthouse.  Judging  from the vehicles lined up to pick students at the end of the day I'm guessing it serves the upper classes.  When I stayed here many years ago, and had glimpses into the classrooms, I wondered what it was like inside Thai schools.   Well, now I know something about that.
   A new school has been under construction for several years at at Wat Klang as the head monk has money.  All of the teachers would rather stay in the funky old wood building as would I.  The new school is a soulless, concrete affair and will only accommodate grades 3-6, plus the 3yrd olds. Kindergarten through grade 2, will remain in their old building.  Perhaps the school would be finished by now had the monk not built an elaborate elevated walkway between the temple and the monk's prayer chapel.  The walkway is only used every few years when there is a significant flood and then only by a few monks going to the chapel.  It seems a bit of a bridge to nowhere and a boat would have been much cheaper.  The temple provides the building so it's completion is on their schedule.
   ...so it goes in the "Land of Smiles."

Blessings,

Al

Pictures: 1. arm, 2. inside the hospital, 3. new school building, 4. elevated walkway, 5. Wat (Temple) Klang































No comments: