Saturday, February 2, 2019

2/2/2019 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Al Negstad — a minute ago
Yesterday's plan of 'planes, trains and automobiles' was always scheduled to be a long day.  Arising at 5am to prepare for school, I taught until noon, traveled to Bangkok to catch a 'Red Eye' nine hour flight to Australia.  As I type I've been up 35 hours...ah, the blessings of youth 😉.  With plenty of time to catch my flight I headed to the airport early thinking I might get a better seat on the plane.  It's a good thing I did go early because that's when the fun began.
    After a significant wait in line I approached the Thai Airlines check-in desk, handing my passport and asking for a seat with extra legroom.  The clerk said she'd try, stared at her computer screen for a longish time and asked to see my ticket.  The looked briefly at my ticket and said "Your flight left yesterday."  Now, that was the worst news I'd heard all day!  I was scheduled to fly at 00.05 hours which I misread by a day.
     Now I knew why there had been two phone calls for me at the Bangkok Christian Guesthouse.  It was Amy calling from Melbourne wondering why I wasn't on the plane.  So, I asked the airline clerk if I could be booked on the flight leaving soon.  She said "Yes, let me see your Australian Visa."  "Visa on arrival I said."  She said "No, Australia requires a visa before arrival, which can be obtained online, and without that we can't board you,"  Now, this was a little more adventure drama than I needed in a long day.  She then asked for my Bangkok address, which I had and my Melbourne address which I did not, as I frantically flipped through message on my phone.  After calling her supervisor she left her desk saying "follow me" which I did as she led me to the  supervisor.  Taking my documents, the supervisor told me to return in 20 minutes.  20 minutes later when I returned she handed me a visa, a boarding pass and my documents.  There was still plenty of time to go through security, customs and board.  And, oh yes, Thai Air didn't charge me for re-booking and even paid for my visa!
    The down side was putting Amy out, causing her anxiety, though she doesn't do much of that, missing a day in Melbourne and also causing my family anxiety; they were wondering what had become of me.  My resolution for the future is seeking adult review of any 'red eye' itineraries. 
     Amy and I had several hours to explore urban Melbourne, an ultra-modern city of five million.  We even stood on a glass floor 186 meters above the street.   Those stories will have to wait until I've had a bit of rest.
    This is my story and I'm sticking with it.


Blessings,

Al

Pictured the building from below and looking down from it; also walking street...Nicollet Mall eat your heart out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks very interesting blog!