Sunday, February 10, 2019

2/11/2019 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Al Negstad — 26 minutes ago
      I made the familiar trip from Bangkok to the house is Ayutthaya.  A very valuable mantra for these travels is "all will be revealed."  Often I'm directed by a Thai to do this or that with a hand signal and possibly some Thai speech lost on me. That's where the mantra kicks in and if I go with the flow all is revealed and it makes sense.  Today was one of those moments.  The doorman/porter at the guesthouse hailed a taxi for me and told the driver I wanted go to the mini-bus depot at Mo Chit.  There followed a long discussion between the driver and the doorman with much gesturing and pointing, making it obvious this was new a destination to the driver.  Finally we left in a different direction than that to which I was accustomed.
     Bangkok is a large city of some 10, million so there are myriad ways to any destination.  As we rolled on I was not at all certain the driver knew where to go and nothing was looking familiar to me.  Recalling my mantra I thought 'if he takes me to the wrong place it will be possible to get to the right place from there', and 'all will be revealed'.  It wasn't as if I was on any schedule.  All was revealed as he delivered me to the bus depot by a different route.  
    It reminds of the women speaking to her pastor.  She said "I've had a lot of troubles in life and most of them never happened."  Ah, the joys of worrying...the old adage "don't borrow trouble" is right on.
    Tomorrow is back to school and I'm eager to see both the students and the teachers.  It's been good to have a little break and not teach four weeks in succession.


Blessings,

Al

Pictures:  Refueling the minibus with propane.  Beginning the trip with a full tank?  Now why do that?

No comments: