Friday, May 4, 2018

Eighteen Days!

Journal entry by Joanne Negstad — Apr 30, 2018
     Eighteen days, but who is counting?  The days Joanne was in hospice were a blur.  A rhythm was impossible becasue she was changing daily.  On her final morning I checked the date and asked "what is special about April 12th?  Joanne shrugged her shoulders in response.  Less that four hours later she was dead.  Never again will I need to ask about April 12th.
     Now eighteen days later I find Joanne stories stacking up in my brain.  She left a legacy.  After her committal service Jim Schade reminded me of one piece of her legacy.  When Joanne was president of LSS of South Dakota she brought together church leaders, including the ELCA Bishop of S.D.  With Joanne's leadership "Lutheran Planned Giving of South Dakota" was founded.  It is a vehicle for encouraging legacy gifts to S.D. Lutheran Institutions.  Jim told me that Lutheran Planned Giving has now raised twenty three million dollars.  It is comforting to know that Joanne knew, of this success. Yes, legacy indeed.
     Gentle readers, try to get a copy of tomorrow's (Tuesday, May 1) Minneapolis Star/Tribune and check the page that has obituarys.   I'll say more about this in my post tomorrow.

Blessings,

Al

No comments: