Sunday, April 29, 2018

Not a "Slam dunk!'

  As we were driving home today I was remanded of the men "on the road to Emmaus" who were pondering in their hearts all the things that had taken place.  L and I were also pondering what has transpired in the seventeen days since Joanne died.  A very common pattern for a funeral is that the burial happens immediately after the funeral.  Sometimes it goes like this. A person dies and 3 to 5 days later the funeral is held, followed by immediate burial.  When I've been a mourner in that circumstance I've been numbed by grief, immersed in the funeral and the committal at the cemetery happens in a blur...sort of a 'slam dunk.'
     Joanne died April 12, her funeral was April 21, and her burial was April 28.  With nine days from death to funeral and seven more days to burial I found grief to ebb and flow.  The grief was intense at death, again at the funeral and once more at burial.  Will that deliberate pace help our adjustment in the future?  I hope so.  Perhaps the spacing of these events will help in our recovery.
     While the loss of Joanne is a deep wound, the attention of so many to our pain with prayers, messages and other forms of support is something I wish every bereaved person could experience.  We are truly blessed.  Thank you!  

Al

No comments: