Thursday, May 10, 2018

From Caring Bridge 5/10/18

Journal entry by Joanne Negstad — 24 minutes ago
     One of the happy surprises at the reunion of the seminary class of '68, yesterday, was seeing Pastor Allan Thorson and his wife, Iris.  Thorson graduated several years before I did so it was a happy coincidence to see him. Joanne would have been so interested.  In a previous post I wrote about Joanne and I travelling to Holden Village in 1963. Allan Thorson, then one of the pastors at First Lutheran, Sioux Falls, was also on that trip.  There was a power difference between us.  He was a pastor while I was lowly student and part time custodian at church. But, his presence on the trip was the source of much amusement throughout our marriage.
     What was funny, you ask?  Perhaps it was only my suspicion, but I suspected Joanne had "her eye" on this single pastor.  At Holden we were assigned to work groups for the mornings to do maintenance projects around the village. To my jealous eye it looked as if Joanne was happy to be in Thorson's  group.  With my interest in Joanne from my first meeting of her I soon asserted myself in our relationship.  Before we left Holden at week's end we had a budding relationship.
   I enjoyed teasing her about her "interest" in Allan Thorson but ending up with another Allan.  She never admitted to an interest in the other Allan, however, she never denied it either.  Joanne would have been interested the conversations of the two Allans who hadn't seen each other in 50(?) years.

Blessings,

al

No comments: