Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Caring Bridge 5/19/2018

Journal entry by Joanne Negstad — May 19, 2018
     Do you remember that old conundrum "If a tree falls in the forest but there is no one there to hear it, does it cause a sound?"  This could lead to a lengthy discussion of the nature of sound.  For example, is sound the vibrations caused by a tree falling, or, is it what happens in the hearing mechanism of the hearer?  Whatever....
     This bit of trivia reflection came to me as I observed a spectacular sunset.  The golden sunset shown below a dark bank of clouds.  We settled on the 15th floor, downtown Minneapolis, because this prairie boy needed a vista to avoid claustrophobia. Situated on the peninsular end of the building we get almost a 300 degree radius in our view.  Beautiful sunsets are part of the deal.        
     Tonight, looking out the sliding glass doors to the balcony, I witnessed nature's show.  But, I was alone.  Could I enjoy the view without someone with whom to share it?   When "a tree falls...?"  OK, perhaps I'm over thinking this.  Of course I enjoyed the view while at the same time it reminded me of absence.  That, I suspect, is my future.

Blessings,

Al 

No comments: