Saturday, January 7, 2012

What is different?

Something is different about teaching at Wat Klang this year. However, I'm having some trouble understanding exactly what it is. Some of it may be me. I have thoroughly enjoyed volunteering at Noble Academy all fall. It's easy for me because I don't have to worry about classroom management I get to work either individually with students or in small groups. When I received an email from them today I realize how much I miss them.
At Wat Klang I'm almost always the only teacher in the room. Besides I don't speak their language. With the 4th grade Thursday I was never able to help them understand the question "How old are you?" It didn't help that I didn't have my Thai/English dictionary with me.
While the classes are smaller this year it seems like the students are more distractable. They were just back from their New Year's holiday so that may be a factor. Perhaps the protracted flood may also have an effect. The teachers talk about the flood a lot. I think I can tell that the students are behind compared to last year. The letters that students at Noble Academy wrote to students at War Klang will take much interpreting. My hope that Wat Klang students could write back may be unrealistic.
A note to a Marine in Iowa recovering from back surgery...get over it! Soon, I hope :)

No comments: