Saturday, January 21, 2012

Random observations.

The temperature is mid-nineties, relative humidity in the nineties, dew point at least 80, the sun is out and the woman ahead of me on the sidewalk is wearing black tights.
Eating with Thai is a very communal event. There's an old legend, which may have some truth in it, that in the late nineteenth century the Thai king arranged that a distinguished British clergyman would invite the king to a formal dinner. At the dinner the king carefully observed all of the silver and how it was used at each place setting and coures. One can imagine in British society how many various pieces that would be. After the king dinner said that he had decided to use the two important eating utensils, a fork and a large spoon, and discard the rest. To this day, Thai eat with a spoon, table spoon size, in the right hand and a fork in the left to push food unto the spoon.
Most Thai meals are what we would call family style, with a number of bowls on the table holding a variety of foods. Each person has a shallow bowl or plate filled with rice unto which the food from the bowls on the table is added. All the females at the table, and especially those closest to me, take the responsibility of ladling food from the bowls to my plate and I'm never asked. It only ends when I say I'm full; "Im lau, kup". With most of my meals, either at school with 6+ female teachers or at home with 2 females, I never have to worry about getting enough to eat. I think this practice is a sign of honor.
There are no serving utensils in the entrees on the table. Everyone uses his/her spoon to ladle onto the bed of rice. This means that the food being given me is served with the same spoon with which that woman is eating.
At school the school lunch, which is cooked at school and I usually find very good, is supplemented by snacks provided by the teachers. Some are very good and others?.... Boiled sweet corn is considered a dessert served cold with no salt or butter and individual kernels peeled off and eaten...no treat for me. Deep fried bananas are very good, soy? beans in the pod not so good.

No comments: