Friday, January 20, 2012

All in the pursuit of science.

"Be at school at 8:00" I was told. "Is that Thai time or American time" I asked? Of course it was Thai time so about 9:00 Kindergarten through 6th grade boarded saung taos, literally in Thai "two benches". These are trucks or pick-ups that have two benches in the back for passengers with a roof, sides with open windows and a standing area in the back. The destination was a science center.
The morning program consisted of two or thee schools with all their students K-6, sitting in one big room watching German science/environmental movies dubbed in Thai. One of the movies was creative enough to hold some attention, the others not so much.
Last night I watched an English language program on TV related to the 8 SE Asian nations, ASEAN cooperation. The focus was the state of education in Thailand. The researcher concluded that Thai schools were not very effective. It reinforced my perceptions after having been in a couple of Thai schools.
The morning left me with mixed feelings. On the one hand I feel bad that these students aren't being served better. On the other the experience was a lark for me. It again gave me an inside experience in Thai culture as the token foreigner.
The teachers are encouraging me to extend by stay because in February they are all going to the northern resort city of Chaing Mai. That would be a very interesting experience. I don't know the purpose of the trip.
Oh, by the way I'm in Bangkok...a real bed for two nights!

No comments: