Thursday, January 5, 2012

A typical school day at Wat Klang.

After the school's opening ceremonies concluded this morning my minder asked if I would teach 5th grade from 8:30-9:30 and 6th grade from 10:30-11:30. Shortly after I began with the 5th grade my minder came to my room and said "The teachers have to go see the monks at 9:30 so will you teach 6th grade then?" This meant that the only class with an adult that hour would be mine...the 6th. At 10:30 after finishing the 6th grade class I was walking by my supervisor's room which is the 4th grade. When she saw me she said "The 4th graders want you to teach them so will you teach them until 11:00?"
Wat Klang is such an interesting comparison with Noble School where I volunteer at home. The students at Wat Klang can be left unsupervised for an hour and they don't get in trouble. Noble students couldn't do that. On the other hand classroom behavior with a teacher present is much worse at Wat Klang than at Noble.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Allan, I am really enjoying reading your blog. How do the students behave when the teacher is present? What are you teaching them? -Tracy from then neighborhood book club