Monday, January 23, 2012

Teachers at Wat Klang

The elementary teachers at Wat Klang, grades 1-6, are very good friends. When they pay for things...I wasn't able to determine what it is they pay for...they add 1% and that goes in a kitty. They take money from the kitty to pay for things like their planned trip to Chaing Mai.
The principle is male but all the other teachers are women. The first grade teacher is 56 and wears her hair short in a western style. The other teachers wear dresses or skirts but she is always in slacks. She likes to portray her self as a tom boy and is a widow. It really surprised me to learn today that she is Muslim. When I asked her why she didn't wear a headscarf she said "it's too hot."
Perhaps my biggest influence at the school has been on the teachers proficiency with English. I suggested that next year I just teach the teachers. The designated English teacher has shadowed me much of the time this year. It helps me because I can ask her what a word is in Thai. It helps her as she asks meanings or pronunciations. Her English has improved during the three years I've taught at Wat Klang.

No comments: