Friday, January 27, 2012

Homeward bound!

WOW! The teachers gave quite a send off lunch with gifts. Lunch was Pad Thai, steak, roasted chicken and several desserts. The best dessert was ripe, sweet mango with sweetened sticky rice.
We all laughed a lot. Some was at me and some was with me. :) My Thai pronunciation sometimes cracks them up. There is no 'th' sound in Thai so that gives them fits with 'the' or 'thirteen'. So the laughter goes both ways. They gave me strong encouragement to return next year.
One little mystery was solved. Often when I'm teaching students ask to go to the toilet. I always say yes, and always two students go. Yesterday I asked one of the sharpest 6th grade students why, for either boys or girls, it always took two? The answer was there is no latch on the door so the 2nd person goes to guard the door. I just love Thailand....that is so Thai!
It's Friday afternoon and I'm in Bangkok on my way home. I'll arrive in Minneapolis on Monday, Jan. 30.

No comments: