Saturday, February 2, 2008

The Silence is Broken

Many thanks to you all for your messages, prayers and thoughts. I got out of the hosp. today and feel fine. Two days in the hosp., emergency rooom treatment, medications inc. those I took with me when I left, everything, cost $1500. The dr. wants to change my bandages every two days so I'm staying close to the hospital for awhile. I can see why many foreigners come here for treatment.
Now, to catch you up a bit with the story. The morning after getting stitched up in Laos I didn't like the looks of my knee. There was a light rain falling as I left my guesthouse. I paused a moment to take in the scene; across the misty Mekong I could see Nakon Phnom, Thailand, on the near shore trucks from Viet Nam were lined up to take the ferry, next door was the fancy new hotel I was headed to for breakfast. I took one step and my foot shot out from under me on the rained slicked tile steps. Crashing like a ton of bricks I scaped my left forearm, cut my left index finger(7 stitches) and put a bruise on my upper left backside the size of a dinner plate.
I scrubbed out my wounds with soap and water, plastered them with antibiotic ointment and made a decision. I need the medical care of Bkk. My finger needed stitches but I didn't want the local treatment again. Heading for the bus depot I caught a bus to Svannakhet, Laos, where there is a major crossing to Thailand.
At Svannakhet I was waiting for the bus to Mukadhan, Thailand, where I could catch the overnight bus to Bkk. A Thai woman pointed at my bandages and said something in Thai. I pantomined the two great Al falls and pointed to Bkk. From that moment on she took me under her wing. She save a front bus seat for me, got me in the right lines both at the Laos and Thai borders and again saved a seat for me after the border.
By this time I wasn't walking very well. The infection in my knee was very painfull and it was hard to sit on one side. At the station in Mukadhan I got a ticket to Bkk. for a bus that left in 3 hrs. I sent some e-mail, had two plates of fried rice and boarded a the bus at 6pm due to arrive in Bkk at 5am. Without going into detail I'll say that may have been the longest ride of my life.
From the bus I caught a taxi to the Bkk Christian Guesthouse, which is just around the corner from the hospital, got a room, had breakfsast, walked over the hospital emergency room and was admitted. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
That's the broad outline. I'll fill in the details later.

2 comments:

Terri Mork Speirs said...

Nice to have you back, Al. God bless that nice lady. Take care, T

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that your recovery is headed in the right direction. What an adventure! Hope you are able to continue with your trip as planned.

Julie Nash