Tuesday, February 5, 2008

"O, He Never Returned...."

People my age may remember a popular song about the raising of the transit fee, I think in Boston, that went, "O, He never returned, no, he never returned and his fate is still unlearned...." All because he didn't have the nickle needed for the new fee. For a moment, yesterday, I thought that might be my fate. I was on the Bkk Skytrain and misread the zones. When I put in my fare card to exit the exit didn't open, a security guard hurried over gun drawn (well, actually they are unarmed), told me to wait, took my fare card to a booth, came back and said I owed 30 cents. I wondered on that fully automated system how they avoided cheating, now I know.
The Skytrain's great. Whips around Bkk over the traffic on the street and doesn't cost very much. It's good to avoid rush hours though.
Bkk scene; School children going to school all in uniforms carrying briefcases.

No comments: