Saturday, February 16, 2008

Maybe Next Year.......

Travel writer, Rick Steeves, encourages travelers to pretend that they are extroverts even if they are not. That's good advice but not always easy for introverts like me. Joanne and I agreed that if she were here she'd know all the stories of the people who flow through the guesthouse.
At breakfast this morning I decided to be and extrovert, parked my self next to a man and struck up a conversation. When he heard my story of intending to volunteer to teach English he lit up like the White House Christmas tree. Turns out that he is involved with a school that teaches English in the hill tribe area of northern Burma. He recently did a stint of teaching at the school but other responsbilities mean that he can't continue doing that. So he has the responsiblity for recruiting native English speakers to work at the school. No surprise, then, that he tried to recruit me. As I told Joanne, the only commitment I've made is to hear more and think about it.
Timing is everthing. It has just become clear that I will not be teaching here this year. One leg isn't healed well enough for me to risk it. My finger, the other leg(knee) and arm are doing very well. Mary Jane asked if I wan't bored to which I responded, "Being bored in Bkk would be evidence of total lack of imagination." Of course I'm disappointed about not teaching but determined to make the best of it. Who knows...maybe Burma next year!

No comments: