Thursday, February 14, 2008

At the ATM

On my way to the Skytrain this morning I stopped at an ATM, inserted my card, and requested a cash withdrawl. In the screen in plain English it said that there was a communication problem and my request could not be filled. So, on to the next ATM, same same and for two more. I always have a stash of $$$ but I wanted to know if this was the time to use it or what? Now, being the hopeless romantic that I am, I thought, "This is the perfect excuse to call my sweetie on Valentine's Day!" So I did and said, "Oh by the way, will you call the bank and see what's up?" She did and there was no problem there.
Readers of this blog know that I left Laos rather huriedly so I had some Lao money called Kip with me, 180,000Kip worth about $20. Bangkok Bank's central location is about three blocks from the Guesthouse. So I wandered over to it thinking I'd change the Kip for Baht and enquire about my ATM card. My first learning is that Kip has no value except in Laos. Not wanting to go back to Laos for $20. I gave it to an American woman staying in the Guesthouse who is on her way there.
My second learning was in customer service. As I was standing surveying a signboard of services in the bank wondering where I could enquire about my ATM card, an employee came and asked if needed help? I explained my problem, was shown to an information desk and brought to a bank officer(?) who told me that the electronic connections between banks was down. He said my card should work in two hours. I felt like royalty.
PS to the posting about Valentine's Day in Thailand: One govt. office announced that they would not accept any petitions for divorce on Valentine's Day. Thye should just go home and try harder.

No comments: