Sunday, February 3, 2008

Scenes from a Thai Hospital

The Bkk Nursing Home Christian Hospital (I know many of think I should be in nursing home) was founded in 1898. It appears that it has become something of a specialized hospital catering to expats. All staff speak some English. Signs are in both Thai & English as is common in Thailand and all of SE Asia. When I walked in I was shown to the emergency room. The staff on duty examained me and called a surgeon who has been my doctor since and whom I now see every other day as an out patient. When he had sewed me up and changed my dressings he said he wanted to hospitalize me for a day or two,

The hosptial sent me back to my guesthouse a half block away with a van, driver and orderly all of whom waited as I packed up things and sent an e-mail home. Then they brought me back to the hosptial for no charge.

There was a choice of rooms; basic suite 7800B, (32B+ 1$) deluxe suite 21,000B or super suite for 28,000B. I went basic which gave me two rooms + bathroom, couch, table easy chairs and refrigerator. My two day stay including all costs was $1,500.

Hosp. glimpses; Nurses in starched uniforms with hose, heels and caps; Nurse's aide's daily questions "How many poo poo?" "How many pee pee?" Choice of Thai or European meals. Flowers from the pr. dept.; Total quiet in my room...no hall or other hospital sounds; Large lounge areas...always were empty while I was there; Nurse trying to say "anti inflamatory" so I can understand....

More to come from the land of smiles and the Traveling Curmudgeon

No comments: