Friday, February 22, 2008

Dengue Fever

There is much concern about Dengue Fever(Breakbone) a mosquito carried virus. Actually there are 4 separate Dengue virus and immunity to one does not protect for the others. 2.5 billion people worldwide are at risk. The effects are high fever, aching joints (thus Breakbone) and in some cases fatal internal bleeding. The mosquito that carries it is active in the daytime and has spread both in times of activity and geographically due to global warming. A local university has just announced a successful vaccine which is wonderful news...assuming it checks out.
It was hard to say goodbye to the doctor and staff at the hospital when I made my last visit today. I've been there every other day since my discharge and they have been superb. The flowers I brought to the nurses station were a big hit. Either, that doesn't happen very often, or it was the traditional Thai graciousness. Everything is nicely healed except one small spot left on my shin and that is much improved.
My boarding passes are printed so that must mean it is time to go home. As anxious as I am to get home, I always feel a tug of grief in leaving a place where I've been awhile. Escaping the MN cold has been a plus but I've promised Joanne I will deal with the weather in MN. It has been an interesting trip even if not what I planned. But, then, how many people get a first hand experience of a hospital in Laos? When I get home I'll post some photographs though I did not take a lot. So, most likely, my next post will be from MN.

No comments: