Thursday, June 9, 2022

Restoration!

       It started with cutting cedar trees. Two biologists were meeting with a neighbor to plan turning pasture into Conservation Reserve Program (CRP). Cutting cedars out of grass across the road from this meeting led the biologist to visit me. They came to compliment me on the cedar removal. We had a nice chat.

     One of them, a Private Lands Biologist for S.D., went back to  his office and did some research. The research led him to call me. He reported that a topographical showed that there was a wetland that could be restored on another piece of property. One thing led to another and now four potential restorations have been identified. 

    Long before I came into ownership, around 1990, four small wetlands had been drained. Now the proposal is to plug the ditches draining those low spots. Reclaiming water on those sites will be a boon to wildlife. Shallow wetlands are quickly colonized by stands of cattails.  Cattails are habitat for red wing and yellow headed blackbirds, ducks and other wildlife. They are also prime winter habitat for pheasants and deer. 

   This makes me a contrarian. While my neighbors are tiling and draining I'm reversing the drainage to keep the water on my land. Luke, the aforementioned biologist, is newly out of graduate school and has been in his job six months. He's an enthusiastic partner in this project.

Takk for alt,

Al


                   Previously restored wetland on a different property.

No comments: