Saturday, June 11, 2022

"I want to die in my house."

         That's a common sentiment expressed by aging persons; "I want to die in my house." Tom and Becky, who got me off the dime on moving into an old folk's home, wrote an essay about housing options for the elderly. (And then  being reminded of my age when the first place at which I registered had a ten year waiting list😄) They told the story of a woman who said that, "I want to stay in my house until I die." and she did stay until she died. But, it didn't go well. As she lost capabilities house maintenance became an issue, as did transportation.  As her friends aged she became increasingly bitter and lonely. She did not have a happy end. 

       That desire to stay in one's home begs a number of questions. Who is going to assist when capabilities decline? When death comes who get the job of cleaning out the house? Could the sale of the house provide the financial wherewithal for persons of modest savings to live their last years in comfort?

      Consider the case of Bill and Mary. Life long farmers on modest landholdings budgeting their money was always a worry and a struggle. When retirement came, after a life of hard work, they sold their farm. They took up residence in a comfortable apartment in town. As we got in their new car to drive to a restaurant Mary said "For the first time in our lives we don't have to worry about money."  The farm, which included their home, financed worry free living their last years.

     Down sizing is a pain, I'm here to tell you. But, once it's done there is great freedom. Every bit of property we own also ends up owning us. It's not that there isn't going to be downsizing, the issue is 'on whose shoulders will it fall.'  

    These musing were prompted by a recent conversation. The person  with whom I was conversing quoted his widowed mother "I want to stay in my house until I die."

Takk for alt,

Al


         One of Amsterdam's famous canals lined by floral shops.


No comments: