Thursday, June 2, 2022

Quirky!

      "Norwegian vision quest."  The main character is quirky and thus the book could also be called quirky. It was a 'page turner' for me. Ingrid, who is a young girl in The Unseen, a young woman mostly alone on her Island, Baroy, near the Artic Circle in White Shadow, goes looking for the Russian POW she rescued in Shadow, in Eyes of the Rigel. It's a most unlikely journey full of mystery and surprises. In 1946 Norway was just emerging form the brutal German Nazi occupation. Most persons Ingrid encounters just want to forget which heaps frustration on Ingrid, travelling with her infant daughter, Kaja (alternate spelling of Kaia).

       The author, Roy Jacobson, leaves much to one's intuition.  Dialog between Norwegians often communicates most by what is left unsaid. That's a pattern with which I am very familiar. First reading The Unseen I was captivated and that's held true through the next two books. Last night when I finished reading Rigel I was very tempted to immediately begin re-reading it. I will before long.

     These books, hugely popular in Norway, are so different perhaps not all would enjoy them. For me, they are top of the stack. I've read the first two twice and Rigel will soon follow.

Takk for alt,

Al


A statute of Berger Hareide's  grandfather in Brumunddal, Norway.

No comments: