Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Grief Happens!

       Living in the land of grief, as I have for four plus years, I've experienced the randomness of grief. Day by day I do not dwell in the awareness of grief. Writers about grief often mention the unexpected triggers of grief. Hearing a song, smelling a fragrance, seeing a picture and any of a number of things can trigger an experience of grief. 

      The sales closure of the Minneapolis condo surprised me with grief. In the almost six months it was on the market there were a number of issues to deal with. Discouraged by the few showings the months dragged on making me anxious to sell. "Won't someone please buy it?" was my internal remonstrance. Many offering encouragement said "It'll sell." "Easy for you to say!"  I thought. Selling it was the last significant step in full transition to residence in the Old Folk's Home. Just be done with it!!! Kinda expensive, too, maintaining two places.

      So yesterday was final closing and I'm surprised by grief!  Didn't see that one coming. Sure there was much relief but grief? Nope, didn't expect that!  Now that I'm in it, it makes perfect sense. The finality of leaving our place. The one into which Joanne poured her creative energies. The place of her hospice and death. The place of eight years of living and entertaining together. Yup! shoulda seen that one coming but too focused on details, worry and looking for relief. 

     The memories remain, primarily that it was a great place to live for awhile. Joanne loved it, got to remodel it, chose hospice there so chose to die there. The sadness is missing her. That doesn't go away. Yet, there is so much for which to be grateful and I am.

Takk for alt,

Al


I was fond of posting pictures captioned 'how pretty snow is from the 15th floor.'



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

😢❤️😢🙋🏼‍♀️