Saturday, June 4, 2022

Discharged!

       It was one this day, June 4, 1962, that I received an Honorable Discharge from the United States Marine Corp in Long Beach, CA. I bought a 1964 Austin Healy, drove to Treasure Island, San Francisco and picked up Ed, from that Marine Base.  Then we headed north.

      Driving up the Pacific Coast we visited the World's Fair in Seattle. After the Fair we went to Port Angeles, WA., to my cousin Leslie's. He took us salmon fishing on the Straits of Juan de Fuca. Ed went back to San Francisco and I headed east. 

    Leslie's son, Paul, age 16, accompanied me to South Dakota and he spent the summer with us on the farm. From the Marines I returned to farming. My brother, the real farmer, was with his activated National Guard unit in Colorado (Berlin Crisis). Until he was released from Guard duty in August, I tended the farm. 

   With the farm back in the proper hands I returned to Augustana College, Sioux Falls, SD., to get my degree. It was there I met Joanne.  My college graduation was on Sunday and Joanne and I were married the following Saturday, June 6, 1964, in Sioux Falls.

Takk for alt

Al


                       1954 Austin Healy 100.


After two weeks of field exercises on Okinawa.

No comments: