Sunday, April 3, 2022

Coast Guard Encounter

      There was a recent article in the Minneapolis Paper about a Coast Guard Cutter being stationed in Duluth. Have you ever been arrested by the Coast Guard? I have and, no, it wasn't while I was a Marine. Reading the article about the C. G. Cutter brought back this memory.

    From 1968-75, I lived in Mohall, N.D. Often I've given the geographic location as where Saskatchewan, Manitoba and North Dakota meet. Close enough. While I was there I was on the Board of Camp Metigoshe, a Lutheran Camp on Lake Metigoshe, in the Turtle Mountains of ND.. It's since moved to Pelican Lake. 

   During my board years the board bought a small houseboat for camp use. After the purchase four of us decided to take the boat out on Lake Metigoshe for a trial run. All was well,  we wee cruising along nicely, when a Coast Guard boat came alongside and told us to stop. Lake Metigoshe is international water lying across the border with Canada, thus the Coast Guard patrols it.

   A coastguardsman boarded our boat for a safety inspection. We failed. Among other issues there was neither a horn nor safety beacon. Because I was driving the boat I was cited. No fine was levied, no jail time either. but corrective action had to be documented. But, it's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Takk for alt,

Al


              Today's random: Fado musicians, Lisbon, Portugal.

No comments: