Saturday, April 16, 2022

Recommended Reading.

      Norwegian author, Roy Jacobson, has written a trilogy of  novels set on a remote island off the coast of Norway near the Artic Circle. The first, Unseen, was set about the time of WW I. In that book, Ingrid, is a young girl. In the second novel, White Shadow, Ingrid is 35, and it's during WW II. The reality of the German, Nazi occupation plays an important role.  Now the third, Eyes of Rigel, has been translated into English.

    When I was last in Norway, my friend Berger, gave me a copy of The Unseen. I was so taken with it that I read it twice. When White Shadow became available in English I read it and now I've read it again in preparation for reading Eyes of Rigel. It was good on the first read and even better on the second. It surprised me how much I'd forgotten even though its only been a couple of years.  Jacobson's prose, even in translation, captivates and intrigues with readers needing to read much between the lines. Seldom have I enjoyed books more than these two.

   While White Shadow, can stand alone it's best to read The Unseen, first. Many of the characters and the setting carry over from the first to the second books. Eyes of Rigel is on order and I'm keen to read it when it arrives. Yes, I highly recommend both volumes. 

Takk for alt,

Al


          Today's random: Delphi, Greece...no the oracle did not speak.

No comments: