Saturday, October 23, 2021

Words To Live By.

      Sr. Joanne Dehmer is a spiritual director at Loyola Center, St. Paul, MN. In a blog in the Center's newsletter she includes this quote which is a great mantra by which to live.

"I’m reminded of the words of Rumi,

                Before you speak, let your words pass through three gates.

                At the first gate, ask yourself,

                                Is it true?

                At the second, ask yourself,

                                Is it necessary?

                At the third gate, ask,

                                Is it kind?"

    This reminds me of my father-in-law, the late Rev. Oscar C. Hanson.  When the Hanson family took me in Oscar's lack of tolerance for gossip impressed me. If dinner conversation turned critical of someone who was not present he quickly shut it down. He truly lived by the words of Rumi quoted above. 

Takk for alt,

Al

No comments: