Monday, October 25, 2021

"Home is where the heart is!"

 "It isn't completely clear where this proverbial saying originated.

The poem 'Tis home where the heart is, which was published in 1829 in several US newspaper, including this piece in The Fayetteville Weekly Observer:

Tis home where e'er the heart is,
Where e'er its loved ones dwell,
In cities, or in cottages,
Throng'd haunts or mossy dell,
The heart's a rover ever,
And thus on wave and wild,
The maiden with her lover walks,
The mother with her child."

       This saying came to mind in a conversation with a friend who asked what I consider home. Over the last year and a half I've mostly been resident in The Little House. Some weeks ago when I was in Minneapolis I was asked when I was going back to South Dakota. I replied, "I think I'll go home tomorrow."  😀 Until then I'd not consciously thought about what I consider home. The shift in perspective came unconsciously.  

     The Little House has been a good place for me. My ability to stay here is dependent on three things: reliable memory, good eyesight and the ability to walk. Should I lose any of those life here would be untenable.  For that reason I have my name on wait lists in two senior facilities in St. Paul. For now the Minneapolis condo is my urban cabin. 

Takk for alt,

Al

No comments: