Tuesday, June 1, 2021

On the wing...

       Today I saw and interesting variety of birds, in addition to the ubiquitous blackbirds, ducks, geese and robins.  Two great blue herons took flight as I tractored by the lake. A brown thrasher is nesting in the cedars far from human habitation. The hawk that circled overhead  was too far for clear identification.  As children we called them "skunk birds" because of their coloration but now it's recognized as a bobolink flying up from the grass.  The blue bird was sticking his/her head out of a nesting box. Pelicans still frequent my pond. To my delight an egret came to the pond today and stalks the shallows. 

       The bank has summoned me back to the big city tomorrow to sign some papers. Kaia and I will leave early enough to make a 1:30 appointment there. It's good that I got the spraying done today. The first adventure with the sprayer worked as well as the amateur operator permitted.  It takes about as long to drive the 10 miles between fields as it does to spray one. Some of the corn, planted the end of April, is now just emerging after last weeks rains. It's still very dry!

Takk for alt,

Al

No comments: