Sunday, June 6, 2021

June 6, 1964

       On June 6, 1964, Joanne and I were married at First Lutheran Church, Sioux Falls, SD. It was a big week for me. On Sunday I graduated from Augustana College and on Saturday was married. There was no time for a real honeymoon. Joanne had accepted a position as counselor at St. Louis Park High School, MN. State licensing regulations dictated that she needed one more counseling course to qualify. The course was available at the University Of South Dakota, Vermillion, SD., and began meeting the Monday after our wedding. Of course it never occurred to Joanne that she could miss the first day of class. 😃

       There was a big celebration for our fiftieth anniversary in 2014, held at St. James Lutheran Church, where I'd been pastor for 19 years.  Of course, we knew life is uncertain, but didn't think that 4 years later Joanne would die. It was a wonderful celebration and I am so glad and grateful that Joanne and I had a chance to share it. 

     Today I began my day, as I often do, with a visit to the cemetery. It was particularly poignant to read our wedding date inscribed on our marker.  Three plus years now in the land of grief and on this day the presence of absence is particularly profound.  

Takk for alt,

Al



                                     Celebrating fifty years.


No comments: