Thursday, April 1, 2021

Joanne Negstad, April 1, 1936-April 12, 2018

    Joanne's birthday was no April Fools joke, though her mother used play tricks on her when she was a child. On the last birthday she celebrated, in 2018, it was Easter Sunday. It was also the last time she ate a meal at the table. Our congregation, Grace University Lutheran Church, sang Happy Birthday to her at the Easter Service. It was when the recording of that birthday song from church was played for her that she said "I never knew dying could be so glorious." That was Joanne!

    She was alert until a couple of hours before she died on April 12. At :6:00 a.m. I asked "What's so special about April 12?" she shrugged her shoulders and three hours late she died. The night before was the only time she lacked the strength to get through all her messages; cards, letters and emails, Two days after her death we had a significant blizzard. 

     Three years I've dwelt in The Land Of Grief. In some ways that seems no time at all and in other ways it seems forever. This morning I made an early visit to her grave. After that visit, I drove to Minneapolis to spend Easter with my family/. In three years she's missed so much and of all she's missed the growth of her granddaughters is the most poignant. With COVID, I too, have missed much time with them but, now with vaccine for all the adults, that will change. 

    I'm so grateful that she chose to be buried in Sinai. That makes it easy for me to stop at the cemetery several times a week. On April 12, I'll put flowers on her grave. Likely it will be roses, she always loved flowers, but roses in particular. 

     Many people have called, emailed, texted and reached out remembering Joanne and buoying me up. Such remembrances certainly help.. Along with deep gratitude for sharing Joanne's life I am also deeply grateful that I've never felt forgotten. 

Takk for alt,

Al


           Joanne with her granddaughters.  Joanne was in hospice when the picture was taken.

No comments: