Sunday, April 18, 2021

Bird watching.

        My father had a wide variety of interests which included identifying birds. Perhaps that's where I got my interest. While it is interesting to me I'm not an avid birdwatcher that keeps lists of what I've seen. But I notice birds. While I was plowing yesterday a hawk flew near me, which often happens, so it was time to consult the bird book. I'm quite certain that it was a male northern harrier.  Males and females of that species have distinctive coloring. Red tailed hawks are more common here and the distinctive markings on the one spotted peaked my interest. 

        Bluebills, either lesser or greater scaup they are too far from shore for me to distinguish, continue to cycle through my little pond on their way north to nest. A couple of ruddy ducks, those cute little ones with the bright blue bills and upturned tails, swim in the slough west of town. Great blue herons and egrets have not arrived yet. Perhaps they wait for frogs to emerge.  Kaia loves to flush blackbirds then race them as they fly. The return of the birds is a sure sign that spring is here.

Takk for alt,

Al

Seen in the funnies: "Did you know that taller people sleep longer in bed?"    Which reminds me of my theory of daytime naps. How can you expect to sleep well at night if you don't practice in daytime?

No comments: